Ghana has enjoyed a rich heritage ever since its founding days. But did you know that many world famous people have also come from Ghana? To prove it, we have gathered just five of them with accomplishments in everything from sports to the arts to Nobel winners.
- Kofi Annan – is a Ghanaian diplomat who served as the seventh Secretary-General of the UN from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2006. Annan and the United Nations were the co-recipients of the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize for his founding of the Global AIDS and Health Fund to support developing countries in their struggle to care for their people. He was born in Kumasi, Ghana in 1938 to a tribal chief of the Fante people. After studying at the local university, he was given a Ford Foundation grant which allowed him to study in the United States and then Switzerland. He then work for the World Health Organization and other areas of the UN before becoming Secretary General in 1997.
- Michael Essien – Anyone who knows European football, or soccer, knows him. He currently plays for the Chelsea Football Club in the UK. He was born in 1982 in Accra, Ghana. He began a footballing career at a local club and quickly skyrocketed to become one of the best players in the game.
- Abedi Ayew – He is another famous football player from Ghana. He was born in a small village outside the capital city in 1964. He has been considered one of the greatest players to ever come from the continent and has even been dubbed the “African Pele.” Two of his sons are even professional football players and played in the 2010 World Cup.
- Sway – This rapper is also known as Derek Andrew Safo. While his Ghanaian mother was traveling from Ghana to Amsterdam, she went into labor at a stopover in Heathrow Airport in London. Of both Muslim and Christian descent, he attended school in North London and used his spare time for musical production. His 2006 album “This is My Demo” won many awards, and he currently has a new one in the works.
- Idris Elba – He is also known as Idrissa Akuna Elba and is a television and film actor who has appeared on shows such as “The Wire” and “The Office.” Although born in Canning Town, his mother is from Ghana. He originally began his career as a DJ, but soon found success in the acting world.
Holly Kearny manages the site Teaching Degree. Her site helps students find the right college to get a teaching degree.